onsdag 5. mars 2014

I really want to!!!

Teenage-years... part 1.

We all remember how awkward we could feel, and how big issues were, don't we? ;)


I believe I was one of the quiet girls in elementary and middle school. Never spoke unless spoken to. Had a few friends, but sadly, got a bit bullied by other classmates too. 

Don't know how or why, but when I found folders in school about the exchange experience, I knew that this was the thing for me. Although I quickly realized that my parents couldn't afford it, this just had to happen. I'd gotten a glimpse of the world, and I wanted to be a part of that experience.

From openclipart.org
I remember that I talked a lot to my parents about this. Repeating over and over that if the year with AFS or ANSA was too expensive, could I please join the summer courses with EF in the UK? I guess they thought it was a thing that would pass, but I was determined to make it happen, one way or the other. ;)

All of this must have been while I was in 7.grade (first year of middle school), because I did not submit any applications until I was in grade 9 (last year of middle school).

And luck came my way in the summer between 8. and 9. grade. Some distant relatives from the U.S. visited my family here in Norway, and because I always had this desire in my head, I let them know of my dream. Early in the fall I got a check in the mail, which covered nearly the amount needed for a full year exchange. Oh, joy!!! :)

So, my parents no longer had an excuse to deny my wish, and I started the process of filling out the application forms.

See how important accessibility to information is?! And remember, this was around year 1985, long before you could go online to search for anything. :)

...To be continued!
BENI

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar